Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Home schoolers in Malaysia

I spent my Saturday morning with the home schoolers and their parents at the 3K field for their sports event. I was told there are over 1000 home schoolers in Malaysia and the program is recognised by the Education Ministry. These students go through a curriculum taught by their parents.

In my speech, I reminded the children to be thankful that they have very dedicated parents who would not "privatize their responsibilities" as parents to schools or maids. I also shared with them that there are poor children in our community who do not have the toys and education they have.

I was also told that this group of parents took pro-active steps to clean up the 3K facilities before using them. I commend them for their effort and I want to see MPSJ recognize the contribution made by them.