Sunday, June 22, 2008

Watch what you sow...

After my last posting, I have received overwhelming support from Malaysians from all walks of life. Students, parents, ex-schoolmates, ex-teachers, residents, fellow ADUNs and MPs have expressed their unequivocal backing. Thank you for all those who have chosen to speak up and to stand alongside me BUT please do not feel sad for me, I have repeatedly said that it is not about me, it is about your sons and daughters in our public schools.

My political secretary received a call the very same day of that posting, requesting me to remove it as apparently "a decision has not been made" on whether or not I can be invited. I want to make it clear - I am not demanding to be invited to that event. It is not about my desire to grace that event in my official capacity as the ADUN for Subang Jaya. I am only pursuing an explanation as to why I am denied the right to attend this reunion.

An invitation now would not suffice. Students in school are now confused as to why the 'ban' is imposed on someone like me. I want the school authority to explain as to why a bone fide wakil rakyat who was chosen and given the mandate by the Subang Jaya people has not been allowed to attend functions in her alma mater. An irrational ban like this is a ban on the people's choice. By what power is the school operating in this manner? This is not a school for the children of Barisan Nasional members or any other political party for that matter. It is a public school, staffed by civil servants for all rightful citizens of Malaysia.

I am a citizen of Malaysia, I am a member of the public and I represent the public. I have now been discriminated against based on my occupation. It is worthy to note that there is nothing illegal about my occupation. Our public schools now have birthed a new form of discrimination against their students.

Malaysians, if you only knew the severity of such a policy on the minds of young children. This is not a political issue. It is injustice, oppression and blatant discrimination being deposited into the lives of our future generation. If this is what we are sowing in our education system today, I dread to think what the nation will reap in the not too distant future.