- I arrived at the meeting room and asked Urusetia MPSJ for my seat. I informed them I needed to use my laptop. Together with Urusetia MPSJ, we went over to MPSJ seats but discovered that there were no available plugpoints. Urusetia MPSJ then said that I could sit at the end of the table (where councillors would sit) for an available plugpoint.
- Half way through the meeting, one PKR councillor Keshminder Singh then questioned the YDP as to why I was allowed to sit at the table with the rest of them. Some other councillors immediately reacted to his statement but he insisted that as an observer I should not be allowed to be there.
- YDP then read out the law that says full board meetings are open to public.
- Important to note that that all throughout the meeting I did not speak at all (as an observer) and only spoke to clarify as to why I was at the table (for plug point).
- I then asked the YDP whether he wanted me to move away from the table (I was willing and ready to do that) and YDP replied by saying said there was no need to move.
- At the end of the meeting, NGO Councillor Tony Chang spoke up and said that majority of councillors have no objection for me to be seated at the table but Keshminder protested.
This incident took place in full view of the pressmen and MPSJ staff. There are many witnesses around, I do not mind the enquiry as to why I was there but the manner this took place was not very pleasant. You can ask the rest of the councillors to comment since they all witnessed it. We are promoting transparency and there is no law/circular specifying that I could not sit at the table (if there was one, I did not receive it). I have no intention of pushing my way through as the ADUN, I was merely there to listen to policies being made which could affect my constituents.
Important to note :
(1) My presence at the table was with the permission of Urusetia MPSJ.
(2) I was not occupying any councillor's seat, I was at the end of the table seated on an extra chair. No councillor was deprived of a seat.
(3) I was there purely for plug point reason.
I hope this clarifies. I have more pressing issues to address in my constituency and this will not deter me from attending future full board meetings as I care for my constituency and will make all efforts to be present.