Saturday, January 10, 2009

My intern - Nadiah Ahmad

One of the many things I want to do as the state assemblyman is to inspire the next generation to be part of the rebuilding process for this nation. That's the reason why we have an internship program for the youth. Our most recent intern is Nadiah Ahmad (pic below), a local Subang Jaya girl just like me. She is a second year Political Science student from the University of Otago, New Zealand and she is now back home for her summer holiday. In Nadiah's internship stint of over a month in my office, she attended to residents, attended meetings together with me and helped organise community events. She shares her experience here:
My experience with the ADUN
by Nadiah Ahmad

I had been given the privilege this summer holiday to spend most of my days with Hannah and her political posse. I wanted to be a part of her political mechanism to see society in a different light, and experience what I’ve thus far learnt in politics books and lectures.

With this opportunity, I was able to meet influential figures in Malaysian politics, to sit in on cases and complaints that needed urgent attending to and also some complaints that needed to be directed elsewhere. I’ve met people of whom I’ve lived amongst all my life here in Subang Jaya and people who don’t really live within the constituency but were looking for a helping hand. I saw ways in which Hannah’s position could be highly significant, and how it could marginalized. The dynamics between Hannah, her assistants and her constituents that I was exposed to was encouraging in a sense that it was a priority to simply help all Malaysians; people in need were not defined by the colour of their skin, and nor were the people volunteering shunned in accordance to race. We sometimes forget that it is an honour to have such different cultural and religious influences to guide our society; most of time we use these differences to pit against each other. My experience at the ADUN’s office reminded me of how important it is to embrace being different and how these differences ultimately make us similar, i.e. Malaysian.

I experienced the obligation carried by Hannah and her assistants to better her constituency. It is a big burden to any person who decides to take on the role of governing a large group of people who don’t necessarily know how the system works or why it works the way it does. It isn’t a privilege to be in politics, but the community can sometimes be privileged when a proper and obliged leader is elected to keep the machinery of governance moving smoothly and cleanly. It is because of this simple fact that I feel Malaysians and specifically my peers, who are sometimes reluctant or apathetic towards politics, should take a more proactive stance; to vote when necessary and lend a hand when need be. It doesn’t take much to be a part of politics, and the smallest gesture can make a world of difference.

What I’ve taken away from my experience is the knowledge of the effort, patience and gratification that comes with community governance and politics in general. From the sidelines, I saw the muck that needs to be dealt with, and a system that is in dire need of reformation. I came to a realization that change cannot happen in an instant and that it is irrational to expect it to happen in such a short period of time, especially in nine months. But change is possible, and that in itself is something to look forward to and even more so to be a part of.

This is my team of staff and volunteers. My dream team - a truly Malaysian team. Personally, I do not believe in serving or speaking up just for one particular race. We live in the year 2009. I grew up loving people for their characters, personalities and strengths - not their skin colour. This is the reason why me and my team believe and will continue to champion the cause of Malaysians, and not of any one particular race. Malaysians must walk their talk, there are many who value unity but elect leaders who only champion a racial cause. This hypocrisy at the ballot box must end. We saw how the change has begun in 2008 but this change has not come and gone. We're in the midst of change now. The youth of this nation must prove that we do not need a Malaysian Indian, a Malaysian Chinese or a United Malay leader. We need a Malaysian leader to lead our children in years to come.

10 comments:

abi said...

Color Blind is what we all need to be! Its 2009 and race based politics is cheap! Im sure Nadiah would have had a blast and leanings like no other! :)

Abu Amirul said...

Congratulation to YB.
Hope YB will continue your good relationship with others especially those youth in order for us to win their heart and stay with us forever.
TQ. (www.askamakalikada.blogspot.com)

chico said...

I'm very touched by this post. All the best, YB!

Anonymous said...

oh no, the BTN better up their indoctrination effort...fishes are outta the net.....

:-P

LWT

true patriot said...

Thank you, YB & your team for the great effort :)

Congratulation !! Nadiah Ahmad, you are learning from the right team, and hope this message of truly Malaysians' spirit will be carried & sent to your family, relatives and friends for the sake of our future Malaysians.

Cheers !!

petluc said...

Inilah Harapan Negara.....Inilah, Anak Bangsa Malaysia

Thank you

I have had the pleasure of meeting Nadia and yes indeed, a hope for the nation; lets see many more like her and more important lets give our support; lets walk the talk.

Yeap Cheng Liang said...

Happy birthday YB

I am not a voter here but I truly admire and thankful that Subang Jayan have you and your team. In you, Nadiah and wonderful members of the team, I see HOPE and FUTURE of Malaysia.

Keep up the good work and God Bless

Anonymous said...

We need to get out of the mold that only a Chinese can speak out for a Chinese, an Indian for an Indian and a Malay for a Malay....As PM Badawi says "he's a PM for all Malsyians".. that's good but the actions do not reflect the words... So Hannah, I believe YOU and your team can do so much better... After all, BN policies are hypocritical; there's only ONE way to go, and that's up! So good luck.. we, the people, need a CHANGE!!!

Anonymous said...

I am touched by this post. Btw, someone posted a comment about being colour blind. I am a Malay but I can't put down a specific 'colour' for Malays. The majority is brown-skinned but I know of a white coloured Malay who looks just like any other Mat Salleh. I have several dark-skinned Malay friends too. And there are many chinese-looking Malays out there! Malays are not defined by the colour of their skins nor the genetic history. I tend to believe that it is the 'culture' and the 'kita-ness' that bind the Malays. Learn to embrace the culture or at least accept it as one that will slowly dominate the nation in the future. Better still help to shape it for the good of our children.

Fazilis

Anonymous said...

Fazilis, I agree with you for the most part but I don't believe this can happen while religion is still in the picture to muddy the waters. I envision a Bangsa Malaysia with many different religions but one education system. Both 'sides' need to compromise but nobody is moving at the moment.