Saturday, October 24, 2009

Deepavali cheer

As many would know by now, being an elected representative is no easy task - I mean being a true wakil rakyat representing the needs of different groups in a constituency. I have made my stand known very clear from the start : I detest racial politics. I do not believe in speaking up for one particular race only.

Last year, I took time to visit different areas in DUN Subang Jaya to understand the needs of the people in each housing area. I believe in spending time with the people to effectively debate and engage in policies affecting them. For Deepavali this year, we visited selected Hindu families that are in need all over my constituency to provide essential goods like rice, sugar, cereal, beehoon and etc. This can ease some of their financial burdens. Soon, my office will be coordinating employment opportunities for some of these families. Empowerment is better than charity. Below are some photographs captured during those visits:
Meeting the families from the flats in SS19

Meeting the families from Good Year Court 2 in USJ 6

Meeting the families from the flats in SS13

Meeting the priests from Sri Varatharajah Perumal Temple in SS13

Meeting the families from Bandar Sunway

Presenting a cheque of RM10,000 on behalf of the Selangor State Government to Sri Samundi Easwary temple in PJS 9. A representative from Hindu Sangam was also present.

1 comment:

Chan, Yan Hoong said...

Dear Hannah,

I am proud of what you are doing in Subang Jaya. Keep up the good work. Let your light so shine before men so that the name of our Lord be glorified.