Thursday, February 10, 2011

Freak Accident

 photo courtesy of SJ Echo
 

News Article from SJ Echo : Freak Accident
Two foreigners die while another two admitted to hospital after they were extracted from sewage manhole

SUBANG JAYA: A Bangladeshi kitchen staff  and a shopping mall Nepalese security guard who were found lying unconscious with two other foreigners in a shopping mall sewage manhole died from inhalation of fumes in what has been described by authorities as shocking.

Bangladeshi, Mohammed Momen whose age is unknown was found lying under the three other men slumped over him. Attempts to revive him failed.

Nepalese guard Balinath Tah, 33 whom authorities suspect had responded to the distress call from the two men succumbed to his injuries on the way to the hospital.

The freak accident has left authorities baffled on why Mohammed Momen and a yet unidentified colleague were in the manhole and how they lifted the manhole cover in broad daylight in the first place. Both were dressed in kitchen overalls.

Eye-witnesses who were first at the scene said they saw two security guards attached with the shopping mall in the manhole gasping for air when they looked into the open manhole.

A steel rod normally used to open roller shutters was found next to the manhole.

The Fire and Rescue Services Department who arrived at the scene immediately initiated attempts to extract the men from the manhole.

SS17 Fire and Rescue Services officer in charge assistant superintendent Ahamad Majid who was at the scene said when they arrived, they found the manhole open and upon checking found four men in the manhole.

"With personnel from SS17, Hazmat and Petaling Jaya, we extracted the men from the manhole and medical personnel immediately attended to them," Ahamad said.

Subang Jaya OCPD ACP Zainal Rashid Abu Bakar said police were investigating the incident to get to the bottom on why the men were in the manhole in the first place.

Subang Parade management spokesman said Subang Parade had no scheduled maintenance work for its manholes. We r concerned with the incident and have launched our own internal investigations on the matter. The matter is now being investigated with the authorities. We shall give our fullest cooperation to the authorities to get to the bottom of this.

5 comments:

terance said...

i work at care4 n this freaks me out...

Anonymous said...

What to freak out.. Case is still under investigation..

kosongcafe said...

Though we may not know the reason for the lifting of the manhole cover, there was a case of a sewerage contractor's son who died as a result of the toxic fume in the course of his work. I am sure there are many other such cases, but unfortunately, laymen were unaware when there was a need for some reason to open the manhole cover.

Anonymous said...

We have a National Safety Council headed by Lee Lum Thye. So we pay taxes and there is hardly any education from this NSC!!! Sewer are classified asconfined spaces and one has tobe trained or inducted before allow to go in.
We have been taught by BN to be cinchai lah and this is what we are getting in return

Carol said...

It scared me the first time I heard about it. Gave me goosebumps. Did they get to find out what really happened?