Saturday, April 14, 2012

Illegal structure in USJ 6 park REMOVED

The illegal concrete base found in USJ 6 has finally been demolished by MPSJ. This photo was sent by MPSJ to me on 12 April 2012. 

Article in NST - Concrete base to be removed


A TEAM of contractors tasked by Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) to connect electricity supply to a structure at the USJ 6/5 park was stopped in their tracks as that concrete base was declared illegal by Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ).

Subang Jaya assemblyman Hannah Yeoh speaking to the contractors about the illegal structure at the park. Pic courtesy of SJ Echo

The contractors came right after Subang Jaya assemblyman Hannah Yeoh had a press conference last Friday to air the grouses of USJ 6 residents and park users who were unhappy about the structure in the middle of the playground.

Residents claimed that earth works of the structure, purportedly for a telecommunications tower, began at the end of last month.

When residents returned to their homes after the Chinese New Year celebrations earlier this month, they were shocked to see a concrete base, measuring less than two metres high, erected at the playground.

Yeoh said checks with the council revealed that no approval had been given for its construction in the field.

The structure was deemed illegal and was sealed by the council. The council had on Thursday posted a warning notice for all activities on the site to cease.

During a brief discussion with residents, Yeoh suggested that instead of demolishing the concrete base, it could be used for the construction of floodlights.

Council engineering department director Ismail Shafie agreed with Yeoh, adding that it could be made into a decorative light pole or something else that could benefit the residents.

However, many of the residents did not like the idea and called for the structure to be demolished. Yeoh, Ismail and zone councillor Rajiv Rishyakaran jointly agreed to their request.

"I would like to advise residents to alert the council if they see construction taking place without display boards giving details of the construction work."

Yeoh said Ismail, who got the name of the company which built the concrete base from the electricity supply contractor, will investigate the matter.

Yeoh called on the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission to educate the public about the hazards of telecommunication towers.


Photo courtesy of SJ Echo

No comments: